For Monet’s birthday, we picked 10 of our favorite paintings by the artist. Share with your children and visit them in person if you can! Click on images to enlarge.
1. Impression, Sunrise (1872) Monet was one of the creators of the Impressionist art movement. The name of the movement was derived from the title of this painting! Location: Musée Marmottan Monet, Paris
2. White Turkeys (1876) Location: Musée d’Orsay, Paris
3. Jean Monet on His Hobby Horse (1872) Jean was Claude’s first son, born in 1867. Monet kept this painting throughout his entire life and never exhibited it. Location: Metropolitan Museum of Art, NYC
4. Monet’s Garden at Vétheuil (1881) Location: National Gallery of Art, Washington D.C.
5. The Water Lily Pond; Pink Harmony (1900) There are about 250 oil paintings in Monet’s Water Lilies series. Location: Musée d’Orsay, Paris
6. Woman with a Parasol – Madame Monet and Her Son (1875) Location: National Gallery of Art, Washington D.C.
7. San Giorgio Maggiore at Dusk (1908) Location: National Museum Cardiff, Wales
8. Haystack, Morning Snow Effect (1891) Monet created a series of paintings entitled Haystacks, showing stacks of hay in various shades of light and during different seasons. Location: Museum of Fine Arts, Boston
9. On the Bank of the Seine, Bennecourt (1868) This painting depicts Claude’s future wife, Camille. Location: The Art Institute of Chicago, Chicago
10. Monet’s Garden, the Irises (1900) Location: Musée d’Orsay, Paris
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.