Happy Earth Day! I hope you’re celebrating in lots of creative, earth-friendly ways. Here are 5 ways to honor our planet:
1. Go Meatless: Honor Earth Day by deciding to have Meatless Mondays. You’ll save water and reduce your carbon footprint significantly if you decide to stick to this weekly good-doing! Read about the health and environmental benefits HERE. Need some cooking inspiration? Check out my Vegan Recipes Pinterest board, or one of these great sites: Healthy. Happy. Life. , Oh She Glows, and Vegan Yack Attack.
2. iRecycle: Teach your kids about recycling with this free app created by the New York Department of Sanitation. All NYC parents should download and play with their kids! The app includes a recycling guide and interactive game in which you sort various items into different recycling and trash bins. Click here to learn more.
3. Earth-Friendly Gifting: Have a gift to buy? Symbolically adopt an animal through the World Wildlife Fund, supporting efforts to protect wild animals and their habitats. There are over 100 species to choose from! A $55 donation includes an adoption certificate, a photo, a species info card, a 10″ plush stuffed animal of your chosen animal, and a gift bag. My 1 year old nephew loves his Honey Badger stuffed animal! Click here to learn more.
4. Plant a Seed: Give kids their own flower pots to practice growing and tending to plants! I love this set by Green Toys made out of recycled milk containers. It includes 3 pots, a tray, a trowel, soil disks, and organic seed packets of teddy bear sunflower, basil, and zinnia! View on Amazon.com.
5. Buy Local: I love going to the Union Square Greenmarket and shopping for fresh produce. You can talk directly to local farmers and find delicious, organic produce at great prices. Find a NYC Greenmarket near you.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.